- 2 kg (4 lb) large fresh mussels
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 10 garlic shoots (or asparagus spears, bases trimmed) sliced into 3 cm (12 in) lengths
- 250 ml (8 fl oz) Tiger beer
- 1 cupchilli jam
- 200 ml (61 fl oz) coconut cream
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- 1 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 2 limes, quartered
- Scrub the mussels thoroughly under cold water. Debeard them by giving the beard a firm pull down towards the tip of the mussel.
- Heat the peanut oil in a wok and add the garlic and garlic shoots or asparagus. Stir-fry until fragrant (1–2 minutes). Turn up the heat, add the beer and jam and bring to a simmer. Add the mussels. Place a lid or an upturned bowl over the wok and steam until the mussels open (around 1–2 minutes). Discard any mussels that don’t open.
- Transfer to a serving dish and drizzle with coconut cream. Scatter with Thai basil and coriander and serve the lime wedges on the side.